Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Fires in California

Both of our families live in California. I grew up in Orange County, and my parents are still there. The bulk of the rest of my family is in Los Angeles. Nora's parents moved to Pasadena after she left for college. Two of her sisters are in San Diego. Both sets of parents have emailed/called to let us know that they have not yet been threatened by any fires. We have been told that one of Nora's sisters has been evacuated, and we expect the other to be evacuated soon.

My father sent me a photo Monday night, with the caption "I thought you'd enjoy a picture of Sam in action:"


"Sam" refers to my stepbrother, who's a seasonal firefighter with the California Department of Forestry, and an EMT the rest of the year. I think he is the one on the right. This morning, my stepmother added the following email:
Sam headed down to San Diego this morning. 5 FWY south was closed due to the fire at Camp Pendelton. Sam flew through the CHP with his uniform on and was
driving down 5FWY with zero traffic...Bizzare! He said he will most likely be babysitting his station in Ramona and won't see too much action this time.
WHEW! He will be in touch with us daily and I'll keep you all posted.

(Camp Pendleton is between my parents and San Diego, along the coast.)

My uncle Chuck is a forester with the CDF. Earlier in the summer, my father sent me a photo of Uncle Chuck and Sam together in front of Sam's truck:

2 Comments:

Blogger Lia said...

Well, things are looking much better here in Encinitas..the air quality is still awful, and the sunsets an sunrises are spectacular with all the particulates in the air. My school is closed for the week, but I'm volunteering anyhow, so we can staff the library. I never had to evacuate, although they did ask us to 'voluntarily' evacuate..Dana however did have to leave her house but is now allowed go go back. So far the family has remained unscathed(knock wood)and I am glad to hear that your family is doing the same.

October 25, 2007 at 6:10 PM  
Blogger Nora said...

Oh good, I am glad to hear it, mom was giving me the updates, but I am so pleased you Sean and Prairie are doing well.

October 25, 2007 at 8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home