Monday, March 31, 2008

Being David Bowie is exausting!

First of all, let me begin by saying that I don't have brain cancer, or an subarachnoid aneurysm just in case you were wondering. What I do have is a somewhat mysterious case of David Bowie impersonation. Thats right people, I AM DAVID BOWIE!

Here is the story:
for a few weeks now I have been feeling a bit lousy. I even went to the student care center and had them run blood work because I had some night sweats, a sub-mandibular lymph node swelling and general fatigue. All the blood work came back normal. Then this Thursday I developed a funny feeling headache. The headache continued while I drove to school and was accompanied by mild vision changes. After I parked my car I took of my sunglasses in the lobby of the Public Health building and looked at my eyes in the mirror walled area by the elevators.



Basically I looked like this.

My right pupil was fixed and dilated at an abnormally large size. My left was normal and responsive to light. So I went to the ER, where they checked me out for brain tumors, strokes, and meningitis. Eventually my pupil slowly returned to normal size and now contracts with light. But, for a whole evening there in the ER, I looked just like David Bowie. Since we still don't know exactly why it happened, I am chalking the transformation up to my inordinate love of Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, Halloween Jack, and the Thin White Duke himself, David Bowie.

5 Comments:

Blogger Benjamin said...

Did David Bowie bite you at some point in the past? Perhaps you're turning into some sort of "were-Bowie." Grad student by day, David Bowie by night!

April 1, 2008 at 9:39 AM  
Blogger Dean W. Armstrong said...

Nora, I hope you are ok!

April 1, 2008 at 4:05 PM  
Blogger Nora said...

I am fine thanks, I still have a bit of a headache and sometimes it my eye still feels a bit dilated, but the Docs say everything is ok and I basically feel fine.

Ben, did I ever tell you about the were-jews?

April 2, 2008 at 12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may or may not have told Ben, but you certainly haven't told me. Share, please?

April 3, 2008 at 12:06 AM  
Blogger Nora said...

Were Jews:

My friend Akio and I were sitting at the Colter house table one night for dinner (this was the semester I lived at Colter) and someone was discussing this class they were taking on Israel and the Middle East. I asked him if it was an interesting class and if it was populated by rabid Jews. By rabid Jews I explained I meant Jews who were in defense of Israel no matter what was being discussed about the Middle East. Somebody else at the table heard me use the phrase "rabid Jews" and became confused.

"Rabid Jews?" He asked "what does that mean, like if they bite you you become Jewish too?"

"No" said Akio, "those are the Were Jews man, the Were Jews!"

And the other guy just looked puzzled,as if he nearly believed that this could be possible, which made the rest of the table burst out laughing.

April 5, 2008 at 10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home