Sunday, April 19, 2009

PHD

Just a quick note to let you all know that I have been accepted into Tulane School of Public Health's PHD program in epidemiology. I will start classes in fall of 2oo9. I will hopefully be fully funded (!) , and be able to receive a tuition waver as well as a living stipend. There may even be money for me to travel and conduct research overseas. All of this money would come from a grant that Tulane has applied for from NIH. Unfortunately, we will not know if we have gotten the grant until August 1st, although we are hoping we will based on high initial scores. The grant would be for global maternal and child health work, and I would get to work on issues associated with dengue fever in pregnant mothers. I am really excited by this area of work, because dengue is pretty interesting and has all sorts of challenges associated with it. Other bonuses include that dengue fever is transmitted by my very favorite type of mosquito, the Aedes aegypti and is endemic in Southeast Asia, my favorite part of the world.



A female A. aegypti mosquito


Map of dengue virus transmission as of 2005.

6 Comments:

Blogger Connor said...

Congratulations! Btw, is that mosquito actual size?

April 21, 2009 at 11:43 AM  
Blogger Nora said...

Connor, I wish! If it was, vector eradication would be so much easier!

April 23, 2009 at 6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

..dengue fever is transmitted by the Aedes aegypti, my favorite type of Aedes, and is endemic in Southeast Asia, my favorite type of Asia...

April 23, 2009 at 6:41 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness, this is the sort of work I would love to do someday...VHFs interaction with pregnancy! Keep me updated on all your research! And a huge Congratulations! We should virtual party over this great news!

April 23, 2009 at 9:10 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Congratulations!!!

April 24, 2009 at 7:41 AM  
Blogger Nora said...

Igor, I like your version better, I think I will use it as a joke in future when people ask me about my job!

April 24, 2009 at 4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home