Sunday, November 4, 2007

Arcgis



The first half of this semester I got to take a class on using Arcgis. I really enjoyed it, so much so that I am thinking of taking another class called "using Arcgis in public health" in the spring. Here are the maps I made for my final project. They are not really special or complicated, but I am inordinately proud of them anyway. They show the difference between using a natural break method and a quantile method to determine categories. Basically its how to lie using maps. the map on the left is a fairly accurate picture of the density of people aged 18-29. on the right, we have artificially made the categories dividing the density of young people smaller, such that more areas become heavily populated with young people. Cool huh?

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Gah! SO Cool! :) Glad you posted it.

November 4, 2007 at 3:52 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

I love GIS. But the methodology is there to teach you how *not* to lie with maps...how to make them say what they ought too. The dishonesty is just ... dishonest ;-)

November 6, 2007 at 10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home