Thursday, November 15, 2007

Friday Cat Blogging (Hodag the mighty hunter part II)

Yesterday morning I was getting ready to leave for classes and I heard the distinct sound of glass bottles clinking against each other. I got up from reading the Times Picayune and walked out to the hallway to see what Hodag was doing in the recycling bin. Well, he was not in the recycling container, but he was doing something just as strange (if not more so) he was sticking his whole arm into the milk crates in which we keep our beer brewing bottles. I thought to myself, 'well, that's interesting', and went in to tell Colin. Colin was still sleeping and mumbled at me for coming in to tell him that Hodag was attacking the beer bottles. A few minutes later I heard a renewed frenzy of clinking, and decided that a bug must be hiding in the milk crates. I went over and began unstacking the three milk crates while Hodag watched. In the bottom one in the very back corner I saw a bottle with a huge bloom of mold growing out the top. 'Eewww' I thought, and leaned over to look more closely. That was when I noticed that the "mold bloom" had a tail. 'Hmmm, mold doesn't have a tail' was about as far as my reasoning went before Pop! A mouse squeezed its back end, tail and all, through the mouth of the beer bottle. I ran in holding said beer bottle to tell Colin that Hodag had cornered a mouse and now it was in one of our beer bottles. Colin, still mostly asleep, had no idea what I was talking about. He thought I couldn't possibly mean a real live mouse, because I seemed so calm and happy about it. I then snapped a few photots before releasing the mouse to the wild.



Hodag and the beer bottle. If you zoom in you can actually see the mouse at the bottom.



this was outside during the release of the mouse. It hung out for a while in the beer bottle and would not leave, although it did poke its head out of the mouth (see below).



Eventually I went back inside and when I returned to leave for classes the beer bottle had been vacated.

4 Comments:

Blogger Benjamin said...

That should be the name of your next batch of beer - Mouse Bottle.

November 16, 2007 at 9:13 AM  
Blogger aa said...

Hi Nora! I'm posting to your blog because I'm a blog nerd and can't figure out how to just send an e-mail to you.

Thanks so much for getting in touch about the bags I'll be at the Freret Street
Market (www.freretmarket.org) on Saturday, December 1st. I'd say I
could get one to you now, but this is a new venture for me so I don't
have a lot made and I sold out of everything today!

Hope to see you on Freret St.,
Alexis

November 18, 2007 at 10:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ooooie--what kinda camera are you using? Such lovely, nice resolution images...

betcha you could crop the one of the mouse peeking his schnozz out of the bottle and get it on cuteoverload.

:D

November 22, 2007 at 10:48 PM  
Blogger Nora said...

mmm mouse beer, but what would the hops be like? are you envisioning a mild brown or a slightly spicer IPA perhaps?

I am using my new cannon camera. I love it, and my only sadness is that I had to get a new one because I lost my old one on the honeymoon.

November 28, 2007 at 4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home