Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Wedding Part III (Belated, whereby by belated I mean two weeks late)

On the weekend of July 28th, Colin and I went to our final wedding of the summer, the nuptials of Kamille and Kevin. Colin and Kamille are friends from way back, they went to grade school together in Huntington Beach.

This was one of the most Catholic weddings I have ever been to. Both Kamille and Kevin come from Catholic backgrounds, and there were two nuns from Kevin's family were in attendance. (I horrendously embarrassed myself at the rehearsal dinner by involuntarily crying out, Nuns! when I saw the good sisters. Seeing nuns is kind of unusual for me... so it just sort of came out of my mouth. Luckily one of the sisters turned around and waved after my error, which made me feel like less of a loser.) The mass was in a lovely little church right on the ocean in California, and in the courtyard you could smell the sea. I felt a little out of place during the service, mostly because I did not know what was coming next, and people kept doing odd gesticulations . Basically, it reminded me how odd it must feel for a Christian to attend a Jewish service! Every religion has so many intricate rituals that are difficult for outsiders to anticipate and understand.

The party was also a blast, there was much dancing and drinking. At one point I heard Colin explain to Kamille's mother that he had been surprised by my emphatic description of Jewish weddings as a "total party". What had surprised him was the fact that Jewish weddings sounded just like Catholic weddings, and he could not figure out what the big deal was. He was right, Catholic weddings are a lot like Jewish weddings, the reception is full of family and friends having a great time.

Be sure and checkout the lovely photos of the event.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The other day I involuntarily made kissy noises at a nun on the street. I don't think she heard me, but nuns are extremely patient about that sort of thing, in my experience.

August 13, 2008 at 2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home