Sunday, January 25, 2009

Hats and related notes

So, last year when I was bald (more on this later) I knit myself a little beanie to keep my head warm at night. It was March, and the nights in New Orleans were occasionally chilly due to damp night air. Well, it was such a good idea, and kept me so nice and warm, that I continued to use it even after I grew back some hair. I was wearing it about a week ago, during that cold spell in which the cats were so snugly. Colin noticed me wearing it and remarked that he was jealous, and wished he had a similar beanie. In particular, he noted that his head and ears get cold when he bicycles to work on damp winter days. I instantly resolved to knit him a hat to be worn under his helmet in inclement weather. I made it out of super wash merino yarn (so we could clean it in a regular old washing machine without fear of shrinkage) in a bright variegated yarn whose color was listed as "Tropical Storm". (Oh, the irony). I designed the hat so that it would fit easily under his helmet and provide ear coverage. The results are below:





without the helmet to hold down the ear flaps, I think it makes Colin look a bit like an old-timey football player. I tried really hard to stop them from curling up like that, but all my various efforts were in vain.


Luckily, the ear flaps work perfectly with the helmet on.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

single crochet an edge all the way around the cap and flaps......it will stop the curling. But, Colin does look cute! From Aunt Monica, UT

February 11, 2009 at 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home